Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Toddler Speak

Being the mom of a fairly fluent toddler, I like to fancy myself well educated in toddler-speak. That is, until three days ago, when the following sentence was spoken, and I was stumped. Phonetically it sounded like this:

Whoop dots going with the bishop.

I have been guessing different things this could mean(mostly chess references) every time it has been spoken, only to be answered, "noooo." Tonight while sitting on the couch watching Empire Strikes Back (Bill is fully responsible for this) with Catherine I heard her saying something about a bishop. Then it clicked...spaceship. So I asked her about our mystery sentence, and if it had something to do with a spaceship. She said yes, became quite excited, and started saying it over, and over, and over. Bill and I were looking at each other, desperately trying to decipher "whoop dots" when we finally asked her if she could point to one. Then R2D2 came on the screen and she pointed and said, "There. A whoop dot." Ah..it all makes sense now. The mystery sentence in English:

Robots going on the spaceship.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This story made me laugh out loud and Matt approves of Catherine's early education on being a geek :-).